Canadian Consensus Framework for Ethical Collaboration
Our Collective Solution
The Canadian Consensus Framework for Ethical Collaboration is endorsed by the Best Medicines Coalition, Health Charities Coalition of Canada, the Canadian Medical Association, the Canadian Nurses Association, the Canadian Pharmacists Association and Innovative Medicines Canada. The organizations are committed to ensuring that the relationships between patients, health care professionals and the pharmaceutical sector are based on ethical and responsible decisions.
The Framework provides guidance on activities like clinical trials, continuing health education, conferences, accountability and funding, and sets out four overarching principles:
- Ensures patients’ best interests are at the core of activities;
- Promotes transparent and accountable conduct;
- Sets clear rules on gifts, funding and conferences, continuing health education and clinical research; and
- Guides national ethical leadership.
Our Anticipated Outcomes
The Framework aims to:
- Enhance credibility and encourage better dialogue, trust, and respect between patient organizations, health care professionals and the pharmaceutical industry;
- Increase public confidence in health care professionals, institutions, the health care system and the pharmaceutical industry; and
- Create an environment for patient organizations, health care professionals and industry to have authentic discussions about improving health care and patient outcomes.
Click here for the full Framework